Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Unsung Heroes

Sorry I haven't been around here much lately. It's getting down to the wire for this damn York address and I've gotta shave half an hour off of it. (It's tough — I mean, you try argueing that pedophiles and suicide bombers will be the ones setting the ground rules for any post-singularity society. In less than 30 minutes. You gotta take it in small steps.) Also, I'm trying to find an agent, and I gotta do it quick; I've only got street cred as long as I'm a "finalist" for these awards. The moment they go to someone else, I'm just an also-ran. (And in the course of that search, might I just point out that Deanna Hoak is absurdly gracious, classy, and helpful to people she barely even knows. A few more like her would make a complete hash of the rules of Darwinian natural selection.)

Oh, and while I'm in hat-tipping mode: I usually e-mail thankyous to those who've contributed to the Niblet Memorial Kibble Fund, but sometimes I can't get through. So if John Packer from Australia, and/or Terry Doyle from the UK happen by, thank you both for your generosity. And your e-mail addresses are broken. For months.

6 Comments:

Blogger Fraxas said...

Is there a way to attend your address without attending the rest of the conference? Time is short for me that day, but I don't want to miss it..

June 4, 2007 at 4:07 PM  
Blogger Peter Watts said...

I'm not sure, but I don't think it should be a problem. The tentative schedule is here; I seem to be up first, and gone by 11am. There's also a contact link on that page, leading to Allan Weiss's e-mail; you could contact him about slipping in and out.

Come to think of think of it, I don't even know what this costs...

June 5, 2007 at 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was an excellent, excellent keynote speech. I'm so glad Allan got you, and thanks very much for doing it.

I realized only later where I knew your name from: you wrote the editorial for "my" issue of OnSpec, in which you took issue with Margaret Atwood's genre anxieties. I ended up citing that in an essay last year; it was absolutely delightful work, and a pleasure to put a face to the name.

June 10, 2007 at 5:37 AM  
Blogger Peter Watts said...

Thank you, Anon (may I call you Anon?) It did seem to go over pretty well (well, except with Allan Weiss — don't know if you caught the passive-aggressive bit about blue octopi in his closing remarks. I swear, I don't know why that guy keeps asking me to give talks...)

June 12, 2007 at 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can call me Anon, or you can call me Cat. I'm not fussy about that sort of thing--nor entirely sure how to make full use of the reply thingee.

I interpreted Allan's comments as a joking attempt to tie it all together, that kind of fell flat. Certainly he speaks very well of you--with good reason!

June 17, 2007 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger Peter Watts said...

Cat it is. Good name.

Glad you liked my Atwood piece. And it's nice to hear that Allan speaks well of me; I don't mean to diss the man. I'm pretty sure he has problems with my whole take on the Atwood/skiffy issue, though.

June 18, 2007 at 11:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home