Friday, January 11, 2008

Here We Go Again

Well, looky here. Blindsight is on the preliminary Nebula ballot. I don't really know much about the mechanics of that process — how "preliminary" turns into "beta", when "beta" turns into "final" — beyond the fact that the award seems a bit too in-house inbred for John Clute's many people's liking. I'm not a member of SFWA; worse, I'm one of those (how did it go again?) "pixel-stained technopeasant wretches" whose forays into the Creative Commons so pissed off certain elements in its administration. So even if these folks know who I am, I rather suspect they may not like me very much.

I'm actually kinda surprised that I even got this far; obviously somebody must like me (or at least, like my book), and I thank them for pitching on Blindsight's behalf. If I find out who you are, I'll buy you a beer next time we run into each other.

But still. Like this is ever gonna happen.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you know how it goes. Enjoy it for what it is: a sincere admiration of the book and your work as an author. What happens, happens.

January 11, 2008 at 2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

congratulations. (i am, however, rooting for Yiddish Policemen's Union because it will make Chabon's publisher freak out.)

January 11, 2008 at 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What can I do to vote for you? I'm posting this on a phone so research is difficult. Do I have to register for Worldcon or something?

January 11, 2008 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger Denni said...

Na, the Nebulas are the SFWA in-house awards--not voted for by mere mortals.

Congratulations!

January 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM  
Blogger Anthony said...

why is harry potter or the yiddish policemens union sf?

also yeah!

January 12, 2008 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger Peter Watts said...

ironymaiden broke my heart with

i am, however, rooting for Yiddish Policemen's Union because it will make Chabon's publisher freak out.

OK, there's an untold story. Why would a publisher freak out over one of its authors getting an award?

January 13, 2008 at 1:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lets see. People in SFWD think that you are a scab for posting your book for free. The link to the free access on their web site does not work. Do I see someone on the grassy knoll?

January 14, 2008 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Peter Watts said...

Yeah, I noticed that. I even considered e-mailing SFWA about it. But then I remembered what my mom used to say: "Just ignore them, Peter. They're only trying to get attention."

Of course, my mom is kind of a dick...

January 14, 2008 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I really hope you win. Then you could refuse the award in an act of nobility...

January 14, 2008 at 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home