Saturday, May 3, 2008

Freebies

So, the word is out on the subject of the revamped Starship Sofa. My reading of "Repeating the Past" is embedded near the end of their recent podcast; also, the press release reports that I'll be doing a "monthly" science-"fact" podcast called Reality, ReMastered. I can confirm this, sort of, although the monthliness may be a bit iffy. I'm working on the first one now, and will repeat as time and inspiration allow.

(Oh, wait a second. I'm listening to that audio feed even now, as it trickles down the teensy one-bar pipe's worth of bandwidth I can squeeze through the walls of my remote cabin — I love these guys' accents, and whoever they've got reading "Likely Lad" just rules — but pretty much the first thing they say is that it is not a podcast any more, but is, rather, an "audio science-fiction magazine". I stand corrected, if a wee bit confused as to the difference.)

Closer to home, Tor has asked for (and received) permission to release Starfish as a free e-book for a two-week period, as part of ongoing promotion for their new website/online community. They've already done this with novels from a bunch of other authors including Karl Schroeder, David Drake, and the mighty John Scalzi, but I'd go out on a limb and state that my own involvement has a much higher irony quotient. Tor did, after all, respond to my request for a Creative Commons option in the Blindsight contract by trying to insert a clause that would have forbidden me from even posting excerpts of longer than 1,500 words on my own damn website. And Starfish is such a good candidate for a promotional free e-text release, since you can't find one of those anywhere else on the planet.

Glad they're coming around, though.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As of 9:30MST, the StarShipSofa website seems to be pooched. I'll check later, sounds worth listening to. Is this really going to replace Analog, as some people seem to be saying? ^^;

May 4, 2008 at 11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

monday, may 6 - the sofa is still down

May 6, 2008 at 9:40 AM  
Blogger TheBrummell said...

I think you need to put in a USA zip code to get the downloads on Tor's website. There's some contest that is only open to residents of the USA, but I don't care about the thing they're raffling off, I just want the stories.

May 6, 2008 at 6:42 PM  
Blogger Den arga vikarien said...

just heard to the podcast and although i've already read Repeating the past it was a real treat to just close my eyes and listen to it! (also, "Repeating the past, by, eh, me" made me giggle like a little girl.)

May 8, 2008 at 11:21 PM  
Blogger TheBrummell said...

I was wrong earlier. Tor is just really slow at sending out the emails for the links to download the PDFs, it took them a couple of days but I'm registered with them, now, and I can get the stories.

Good stuff.

May 10, 2008 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger Jani Arora said...

best kitchen chimneys

June 29, 2019 at 2:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home