Thursday, June 12, 2008

Night of the Non Sequiters

So the CBC pushed, as bullies are wont to do; only this time the rights holders of the iconic "Hockey Night In Canada" pushed back. Now, the game's afoot; Stephen Colbert has promised to make a habit of singing the newly-freed HNiC "while punching beavers in the face!" (oh, and — non sequiters within non sequiters here, but was that Jonathan Coulton backing up Hodgeman on "The Daily Show" the other night or was I dreaming?); the CTV snuck in and handed the CBC its ass on a plate, with a side of egg-on-face; and Canada's national broadcaster is suddenly in need of another National Anthem with which to begin its hockey nights.

Might I propose this heartfelt gem from Warren Zevon.



Seriously. There could be no finer candidate.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Meghan said...

It was. He also accompanies and talks with Hodgman throughout the audiobook of "Areas of My Expertise," notably on the list of 700 hobo names. It is the awesome.

June 13, 2008 at 12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Non sequitur: a professional writer cannot spell.

June 13, 2008 at 1:29 AM  
Blogger Teresa said...

The best 5-1/2 minutes I've had all week, Peter!

Thanks

June 13, 2008 at 3:10 AM  
Blogger Sarasti said...

I second your nomination for the new song.

June 13, 2008 at 2:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to read this a couple of times before I figured out HNIC in this context does not mean what it means when Richard Pryor used to say it.

June 14, 2008 at 4:02 AM  
Blogger Peter Watts said...

Raymond said...

Non sequitur: a professional writer cannot spell.

Owe kontrare. I'm an author. I'm licensed to neologyz/neologize/— make stuff up.

June 14, 2008 at 5:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unconventional spellings are not neologisms unless and until they carry semantic weight.

Also, I know damn well you have a spellchecker in that browser of yours.

June 14, 2008 at 6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re:Zevon.

*sniff* That's beautiful, man. Go, Buddy, hit someone.

Haha. Lawyer Guns & Money is still my fave.

June 15, 2008 at 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home